Sunday 15 December 2013

My FIRST FIDE-Rated Classical Tournament - 5th Penang Open 2013 (Challengers Section)


From quite some time back, The kids have always harped on the fact that I just know how to comment but have never taken part in any competition. When I took part in the first Rapid event I.e. MBPJ Open 2012, they kept quiet for some time. Then they said I've never taken part in any Blitz event....I addressed that by taking part in a few Blitz events this year like the DCC Opening Blitz, 1st Kedah Open Blitz and more recently the MPSJ PeBT Blitz.

However, my non-participation in any classical event has always been my "Achilles heel" which the kids always use to "attack" me. Hence, I decided to "take the plunge" (so to speak) by signing up for the Challengers Section for the Penang Open...knowing full well that I'll be playing against "kids" and will be humiliated time and again.



 ( My FIRST Participation Certificate for a FIDE-rated Classical Event )



Well...what can I say - there's "more action" as a player as compared to a spectator.
Among incidences:-
(1) Arbiter(Hamid) raising his voice and chasing away a parent of a Taiwanese player for incessantly complaining.
(2) A "bloody" illegal move - my opponent went somewhere, sat down and just drank my water!!!
(3) Crying - player seated beside me was crying after a joyful start due to blunders being.



My advise to parents, before you give advise and/or pass comments that will make you all kinda look stupid (from the player's weltanschauung)...better take part in at least 1 FIDE-rated International Classical tournament and you'll learn more from that event than by just being a mere spectator for 10competitions.

Having participated in my first classical event, there are some matters which I need to review or rather handle delicately when giving comments to the kids in future events.
Amongst them:-
(TBC)
(1)  "Macam mana boleh blunder, didn't you check your pieces?"
(2) " Kenapa tulis tak clear?"
(3) " Why don't you take a walk!? There's lots of time left! "




No comments:

Post a Comment