Monday 12 August 2013

RIP - MUN FYE

Went to the AMBANK Challenge to send the kids. Had a look at the veteran's section and was wondering where Mun Fye was when I didn't see him playing in the Veteran's event. Then, later on I came across a tribute to Chan Mun Fye, HERE

I do not know him personally and I'd only first met Mun Fye in the DCC Golden Special early this year. hAnA and the cHEss pIRATE was playing in their 1st FIDE-rated event for 2013. (DCC Golden Special 2013, RESULTS ). Both hAnA and the cHEss pIRATE played against Mun Fye.

As per Mourinho, I seldom play competitive chess but I did had the privilege of playing against him
(DCC Opening Day Blitz, RESULTS ). That was the first and last competitive game that I played against him. The irony was that I lost to him twice in that game...the first was when I made an illegal move...to which he said - "....just play on and we'll report the final result later...and of course the second lost was when he'd actually check-mated me.

My lasting impression of Mun Fye is - "...a gentle and kind-hearted person who would like to finish his game and have the patience to teach the younger players (whatever their race were) so that they'll improve their games and in doing so epitomise the notion of a Gentleman Chess Player ".

No comments:

Post a Comment